Okay so it’s clear from the trailers, gameplay, announcements, etc that Sonic Mania, the game that looks like it’ll be perhaps the best Sonic game ever released (you never know!) will have two major types of levels: brand new ones that we’ve never seen before and also classic levels that have been redone and are essentially brand new. We don’t know how many Zones we’ll see and how they’ll be delivered but a split is likely. If we have 12 Zones 6 are likely to be brand new while the other 6 are likely to be classic levels redone and Green Hill Zone is redone differently enough that it’s basically brand new while still having very much the same DNA, and I can’t wait to see which other Zones(or levels) will be getting the same treatment. There are so many to choose from in the classic games! So I just wanted to take some time and list the Zones I want to see the most and add yours in the comments as well! To make it easy I’ll pick 5 I’d like to see, in addition to the confirmed Green Hill Zone.
1. Marble Garden Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3). I don’t know why but I’ve always loved this Zone. The music is certainly some of my favorite Sonic music so that likely plays more than a small role but I just like the Zone in general. It always has been a level that I love seeing come up and the boss against Dr. Robotnick is a fun one too that’s unique from all the others in the game, a fight in the air using Tails for support. I love the whole thing so I’d love to see it remixed in Mania.
2. Emerald Hill Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2). Sure, it’s similar to Green Hill Zone, so it’s very unlikely to see live in Sonic Mania. But many people such as myself got their first Sonic experience in Emerald Hill Zone and it needs to be in it. It’s unique enough that it could warrant a level or maybe even part of Green Hill Zone switches over to Emerald Hill or something to that effect. Time will tell but this is something I’d love to see.
3. Mushroom Hill Zone (Sonic and Knuckles). This is another level that I’m in love with because of the music but the level itself is actually quite enjoyable to play through. It has a cool design and has a lot of varying paths that are fun to explore, a norm for Sonic games, but this level stands out to me. We have seen it remade in Sonic Generations (3DS) so it’s not likely to arrive but I’d love it.
4. Casino Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2). I want this one for the nostalgia of it. It was one of my favorite Sonic levels to play when I was a kid with my sisters, cousins, and varying others. I liked playing the slot machines and trying to get higher ring counts though it doesn’t always work out like you plan, you know what I mean, when Dr. Robotnick shows up on all 3 slots and takes all of your rings. But it was a fun level so bring it on! I’d also take Carnival Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3) if this one can’t be in.
5. Scrap Brain Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 1). I like this level both because of the music and because it’s actually a pretty decent challenge. Not too many Sonic levels are really hard on their own but I always found this level to be quite a challenge so I’d love to see it have a great comeback.
And none of this includes Chaos Emerald challenges! I found the ones in Sonic 1 to be the hardest so challenge wise I’d like to see something similar to that come back but I love the ones in the 2nd and 3rd games as well so I guess it’s a tossup. Anything Sega’d like there would make me happy. But how about you? What levels do you want to see make a comeback? Let me know in the comments!